Chill with Windhoek Express
21 November 2019 | Art and Entertainment
• The exhibition Ephemera can be viewed at Goethe Institute until 22 November.
• Celebrate the diversity of life, an art exhibition by Gerdis Stadtherr featuring a variety of different styles, can be viewed at 19 Metje Street until 30 November. Opening times are from 12:00 to 18:00.
• Shades of Ghana, a collection of glass beads, batik and clothing created by Kudjo Owusu, is exhibited at the Omba Gallery until 15 January. The gallery will be closed from 23 December to 2 January.
• Unam visual arts graduate exhibition at the National Art Gallery until 25 January 2020.
Thursday 21 November
• 08:00 NUST Bush Biomass symposium hosted by the Debushing Advisory Service at the Protea Hotel Fürstenhof until 16:00. The theme is “The role of scientific research in growing Africa's Bioeconomy”. Info and registration: 061 207 2728 or [email protected]
• 16:00 Mrs Fix It workshop teaching you bike maintenance 101. Hosted by Cymot in preparation for this year’s Nedbank Desert Dash. Info: 061 295 7474.
Friday 22 November
• 16:00 Christmas Market & Carols by Candlelight hosted by Namibië Boere Droogtehulp is in aid of farmers in need at the Windhoek Golf Club. Enjoy a magical evening with your family and friends, a variety of stalls, good food and music and make a difference in a farmer's life. Tickets: N$80 for adults, N$50 for pensioners, N$40 for primary school children and children under 7 enter for free – all via Webtickets, where you can make a donation as well.
• 18:00 The Collective Singers host a charity concert while launching their video at the Inner City Lutheran Church (c/o Pasteur & Johann Albrecht Streets). Since the concert is for charity, the “entry fee” is donations (non-perishable food, clothing, blankets, etc.) to help the children of Hope Village.
• 18:30 Exclusive tasting of Cape Winemakers Guild Auction Wines at The Wine Bar. Tickets: N$350 and booking is essential! Info and Tickets: Vendelinus or Anna at 061 226 514 or [email protected]
• 18:00 Me Time, a group exhibition of ceramic and jewellery from the hobby classes of Jacqui Jansen van Vuuren Ceramics and Frieda Lühl Jewellery opens at The Project Room (32 Jenner Street) and can be viewed until 7 December.
Saturday 23 November
• 08:00 Operation Burning Bush at the Action Arena. Info: www.action.com.na
• 09:00 The annual Jenny’s Place Christmas Market featuring a variety of handmade items, food, clothing, candles, jewellery, gifts, crafts and much more takes place until 14:00.
• 10:00 The AfroFuture Festival hosted by African Naturals Hair & Skin Products, takes place at the Theatre School in Windhoek until 16:00.
• 11:00 Live to Ride hosts their annual Kidz Run, starting at The Handle Bar. Donate food, blankets, stationery, clothes, toiletries and toys to support the cause.
• 12:00 If you love pasta, don’t miss the all-new, open-air Polana Market taking place at the Trustco United Rugby Fields until 22:00.
• 18:00 Pietman (of Oppiestoep-fame) & Friends at the Erfenis Kultuursentrum (corner of Bismarck and Blohm Street). Tickets: N$450 per person (includes dinner and wine). Info: [email protected] or Elizma at 081 122 4110.
• 18:00 Benguella Angling Club annual Christmas party, with a spitbraai and salad, music and dancing, and something small for the kids. Tickets: N$50 for adults and kids free.
Tuesday 26 November
• 09:00 Mom's Baking Supplies hosts a Christmas market at the Dutch Reformed church Eros until 5 December. Opening times daily from 09:00 to 19:00, and from 09:00 to 21:00 on Friday 29 November.
• 17:30 The Namibian Organic Association (NOA) hosts their AGM at the Namibia Scientific Society. At 19:30 the documentaries Top 5 GMO Myths (7 minutes) and Seeds of death, unveiling the lies of GMOs (30 minutes) follow along with a discussion on genetically modified foods. Info and NOA registration: [email protected]
Thursday 28 November
• 17:00 Safari Den Camping Hunting Outdoor Summer Market at Auas Valley Shopping Mall until 21:00, and continues until the 30th.
• 18:00 Atelier 7881 presents a monochrome exhibition with paintings, sketches and collages by Marcii Magson at 10 Oranje Street in Windhoek until 5 December. Info: https://atelier7881.com
• 18:00 Resilience - How to Fail, Bounce Back & Show Up, hosted by Future Females at the Vintage Coffee Shop. Tickets: N$75 via PayToday.
• 18:00 Joe Vision Production in collaboration with the Goethe-Institut Namibia invite the public to the screening of Okavango-Leben Am Fluss-Fremder Vater, a film commissioned by Zweites Deutsches Fernsehen (ZDF) and shot in Namibia in 2017. German with English subtitles. Entrance: Free.
• 19:00 “Snôrstock 2019” hosted by Vaughn Ahrens and his band at The Wolfshack to raise money for testicular and prostate cancer. Entrance: N$100.
• 20:00 For Coloured Girls, the ground-breaking work written by African American playwright Ntozake Shange, is performed in the National Theatre, with performances until Saturday. Tickets: N$100 via Computicket.
Friday 29 November
• 12:00 Kapana Festival vol. 3.1 at the Khomasdal Stadium, until Saturday at 23:00.
• 12:00 Year End Flee Market & Charity Event at the Grysblok in Katutura until Sunday at 19:00. Come sell, buy or exchange unused items as you enjoy the company of many others coming to give to those in need. There is a weekend long Barbeque Marathon, from red meat to fish, while you can groove to the sounds of live DJs, Banganibo & his band and others.
• 14:00 Book Market at the Goethe Institute until 17:00. Book a table at N$100 to sell your books or buy a (audio) book from the Goethe’s library will also offer novels and audio books. Prices are negotiated between the buyer and seller. Info: [email protected]
• 18:30 An eco zumbathon with Mansoor and Rukaya Galant takes place at The Dome in Swakopmund until 20:30. Tickets: N$100 in advance or N$120 at the doors. Info: 081 687 8833.
• 18:30 Join the Cancer Association of Namibia and Desmond Wells at the 2019 Mo Bro & Mo Sista Awards taking place at Wanderers. Tickets: N$180. Mo Bro & Mo Sista entries and donation forms available from [email protected] or 061 237 740.
• 19:00 Cars at Sunset at the Mega Centre. Entrance is free, but please donate canned food and decent old clothing (no cash) for charity. No alcohol will be sold.
• 19:00 In the final Night Under the Stars concert for the year at the Goethe Institute hosted by Ashwyn Mebri, Adora, ML, DD Mdu and Kay Sax perform together. Entrance is free and includes a glass of summer punch!
• 19:00 The Reitklub Okahandja hosts Ivan van der Merwe Live. Tickets in advance (available at the stables) cost N$100 or N$120 at the doors. Info: Sanett @ 081 395 5900.
• 19:00 #TopaAndSakaVol2 with NandoHomie, The Future is Giggz, Dio Wyld, Travi$ Harvey, Antany Knows and a special appearance by Dice at the Kalahari Coffee & Jazz Café in Werner List Street (old Uncle Charlie’s Pawn Shop).
Saturday 30 November
• 07:00 Ondundu Speed Hiking Day up the Kaiser-Wilhelm mountain. For more info, contact [email protected] or call 0813844954 / 0817147555 for directions. A registration fee of N$30 is payable.
• 08:00 The final leg of the Namibian National drag racing championship takes place at the Okahandja airstrip on the Gross Barmen road. Organised and hosted by the Okahandja Drag Racing Club, expect everyone to burn rubber at this event! Tickets: N$50 for adults and N$10 for kids at the gates. Racing starts at 10:00.
• 10:00 Annual kids festival at the Western Suburbs Rugby Field in Khomasdal until late. Tickets include unlimited playtime at the Fun Parties Inflatable zone. Don’t forget towels, sunscreen and swimsuits as well as gazebos, beach umbrellas and camping chairs. Food and beverages available at food stalls. Tickets: N$100 in advance for kids and N$50 for adults (kids under 2 enter for free) via Webtickets or at Pick n Pay outlets; and N$130 at the gates for kids and N$70 for adults. Info: Cynthia at 081 479 0447 or Bev at 081 700 0117.
• 10:00 Coastal Fiesta at Kuisebmund Stadium – an exhibition platform for SMEs, corporates and Namibians at large filled with loads of entertainment. Tickets: N$50 via PayToday.
• 10:00 Garden Talk on “Going Bonsai”, with focus on soil mix, fertilising, watering and pests, hosted by Pupkewitz MegaBuild at various timeslots until 14:00.
• 12:00 Christmas and Advents Market at The Green Centre in Swakopmund until 21:00, featuring handmade items and crafts, plenty of Christmas decorations, festive Advent wreaths, Glühwein and light refreshments to start the exciting Christmas season on a pleasant note. Info and stall bookings: Bea @ 081 692 9072.
• 14:00 All White VIP Party at The Kitchen – a premium house music event where everyone can indulge in sophistication while vibing to the best beats, where fashion, elegance and fun is on full display. Tickets: Starting from N$1500 for a table for 2, with various options available – via Webtickets.
• 15:00 Elisenheim Farmer’s Kitchen Christmas Market at the Elisenheim campsite until 21:30. Entrance is free.
• 18:30 061Music 10 Year Anniversary Party at the BoXx Cafe - Street Cuisine (Independence Avenue, in front of the Sanlam building) until 22:00. Tickets: N$50 at the door.
• 19:00 The Salsa Windhoek Social Club hosts the last street salsa party of the year at Cramers in Independence Avenue. Salsa, bachata, cha-cha, dance hall, reggaeton, and other African rhythms await. Entrance is free.
Sunday 1 December
• 09:00 Lagoon Park Christmas market (between Paul Vincent and Peter Dixon Street) in Walvis Bay until 14:00, with lots of arts and crafts, food and kids games.
Monday 2 December
• 18:30 Opening of Christmas Magic at the Gallery with fine handcrafted items of good quality, antiques and design to delight and tempt, at the Woermannhauss Gallery in Swakopmund. View until 5 January 2020.
Thursday 5 December
• 19:30 Poetry Session Six hosted by Township Productions at the Goethe Institute.
Friday 6 December
• 10:00 The Swakopmund KIA Makietie in Swakopmund at the Vineta sport fields features performances by Juanita du Plessis, Leah, Emo Adams, Dirk van der Westhuizen, Fatman, EES, Die Campbells, Willem Botha and Lollos. Continues on 7 December. Tickets: N$50 via Computicket
Saturday 7 December
• 09:00 Vintage Bar & Grill hosts the Bikers Year End “Tamaai Padbraai” under a tree 5km south of Omeya. The group departs from Vintage at 09:00 and at 10:00 from the Truck Port. Info: www.vintage-bar-n-grill.com
• 15:00 Enjoy a stunning dance performance from Hozalas Finest and Kongoma winners at the Sam Nujoma stadium. Tickets N$50 to N$150 via Computicket.
• 18:00 Visible Talent Namibia, showcasing talent from across the country, at the TransNamib Gammams sports fields. Tickets: Starting at N$50 via Webtickets.
Saturday 14 December
• 09:00 The Shed Christmas Market takes place until 18:00 and from 09:00 to 15:00 on the 15th. Info: [email protected]
• 21:00 Kick-off your summer festivities in style with an awesome performance by Jack Parow at Summer Swing at Club Naps in Swakopmund. Tickets: N$300 via Computicket.
Wednesday 18 December
• 09:00 Swakop Beach Volleyball Camp 3, hosted by Timeout BVA in Swakopmund until 19 December. This is the ideal chance to spend a weekend at the coast focusing on improving your beach game. There will be lots of coaching tips on your technique and game. You don’t need a partner and individuals are welcome, and the camp is aimed at all volleyball players from improvers, intermediate through to advanced. Cost: N$600.
• 11:00 Tafel Lite Beach Bash at Dolphin Park Beach. On the programme is loads of entertainment ranging from beach volleyball to live performances by Early B, Gaza and many DJs. Food and beverages will be available to keep you hydrated and fuelled up for the long day of fun filled activities. Tickets: N$170 via Computicket.
Friday 27 December
• 12:00 Celebrate Summer at the legendary Spirit of Summer, a hallmark Namibian beach festival that has attracted 1000s of people over the 10 years of its existence. See you at Tiger Reef! Tickets: N$150 via Computicket.
Saturday 28 December
• 11:00 Sound of Summer, brought to you by Cruz Vodka, is heading to Langstrand for 12 hours of sunshine, music and beach. Venue: Tidal Pool Area. Tickets: N$170 via Computicket.
Tuesday 31 December
• 19:00 New Year's Eve beach party at Tiger Reef. Ring in the new year on the beach with live music performances from various international and local DJs. Don`t miss out. Tickets: N$1200 via Computicket.