15 April 2019 | Art and Entertainment
• Follow the hidden magic, an exhibition by Anja Nowack, can be viewed at El Barrio in Windhoek until 17 April.
• On the Brink, an exhibition by visual artists Ndakondjelwa Nghipandulwa and Davido Indongo can be viewed at the National Art Gallery until 4 May in the Upper Gallery.
• Creations, a group exhibition by Namibian creatives celebrating 29 years of Namibia's independence, can be viewed at the National Art Gallery until 4 May in the foyer and main gallery.
• Shifting Horizons exhibition portraying sketches and paintings from the life of Jacquie Tarr can be viewed at the Fine Art Gallery in Swakopmund until 26 April.
Tuesday 16 April
• 19:30 Dr Alma Nankela, an archaeologist from the National Heritage Council of Namibia, hosts a talk of the first in situ XRF analyses of rock paintings at the Scientific Society.
Wednesday 17 April
• 18:00 Toastmaster Michael Chikwililwa gives an overview of a Toastmaster’s meeting at the Scientific Society.
Thursday 18 April
• 09:00 Easter Market at the DHPS in Windhoek until 12:30.
Friday 19 April
• 10:00 Lukzet kuierfees in Henties Bay, with live gospel music by Paul Herbst. Bring your own drinks. Tickets: N$40 via Computicket.
• 18:00 DanceN Heels host a fun-filled evening at the Dance Factory (Strauss Industrial Park, Einstein Street, Swakopmund). Tickets: N$100. Info: dancn[email protected] or 081 2651 838.
Saturday 20 April
• 07:00 Channel 7 hosts a family sports festival at the Rössmund Golf Course. Guests can enjoy a wonderful atmosphere filled with different stalls that include food and drinks. Info: Juanita at 061 420 850.
• 07:30 The West Coast Mountain Bike Challenge takes place at the Moonlight Resort in Swakopmund. Info and registration: www.raceday.events
• 10:00 The Lukzet Kuierfees in Henties Bay continues all day, with live performances, beer and food tents, fun for the kids and lots of prizes. Tickets: N$180 via Computicket.
• 10:00 Food, music & fashion festival at the Vineta sport fields in Swakopmund. Tickets: N$80 via Webtickets.
• 12:00 The Malibu Summer Sessions Music Festival takes place at Tiger Reef. Entrance is free.
• 14:00 Cannabis Revolutionary Reggae show at the Zoo Park.
• 16:00 The Swakopmund Art Association in cooperation with Die Muschel, Fine Art Gallery and Ilana’s Hair Gallery, host the Night of the Galleries.
Tuesday 23 April
• 18:30 A talk on unmanned (aerial) vehicles aka drones by Helmo Krüger, takes place at the Scientific Society.
Thursday 25 April
• 08:00 Japie Swanepoel, director: sociality, recently returned from the Mobile World Conference (MWC) in Barcelona hosts Mobile First Towards 2020 at River Crossing Lodge outside Windhoek. Participation: N$1100 via Today.com.na
• 17:00 Big Boy Racing hosts a Motorsport Expo, featuring a number of local and South African spinners, drag racing, gymkhana and drifting at the Tony Rust race track until Saturday at 22:00.
• 19:30 For this month's edition of Namibia's exciting multi-disciplinary performance art show The Gathering, director Ashwyn Mberi challenged artists to create and embody work that reflects 'Vibrancy. Tickets: N$80 via Today.com.na or N$120 at the doors.
• 20:00 Battered, a play about a woman who is severely beaten as a child, rebuilds herself as a sex worker, alongside her transgender friend and newly found housemate. It takes place in the National Theatre Backstage in Windhoek, with additional shows on the 26th and 27th. Tickets: N$50 via Computicket.
Friday 26 April
• 18:00 TechnoLoft performance at the Maerua Rooftop until 01:00. Info: Robert on 081 290 1116 or [email protected]
• 19:00 The Silentist, a film that explores secrets that the powerful hold, the cancer plight, gender-based violence and the struggle against drugs and the impact they have on a family is screened at Ramatex. Tickets: N$100 via Computicket.
Saturday 27 April
• 07:00 The ICAN volleyball tournament takes place at the DTS sport grounds in Windhoek until 14:00. Info: [email protected]
Thursday 9 May
• 08:00 The Namibia performing arts championships take place in the National Theatre until Saturday night.
Saturday 18 May
• 18:00 A night of inspiration in the National Theatre is an evening motivational talks featuring local and international leaders. The aim is to inspire people to be unlimited and reach their full potential in life. Tickets: N$350 via Computicket.
Saturday 3 August
• 18:00 Heal our land concert with Manda Gabriel at the Zoo Park in Windhoek. Tickets: N$100 via Computicket.