10 February 2019 | Art and Entertainment
• Of the greatness of life, an exhibition by Dr Helmut Lauschke can be viewed in the Upper Gallery of the NAGN until 16 February.
• New beginnings, a collection of artworks by the graduates of the College of the Arts, takes place at the National Art Gallery until 9 March.
Monday 11 February
• 19:30 The Namibia Scientific Society and Gobabeb Research & Training Centre host a public talk by Robert Logan on Tiny creatures, big jobs: the important and awesome role of microbes in the Namib Desert.
Tuesday 12 February
• 18:00 A photographic exhibition produced by visually impaired persons during walks through the cities they reside in: Vienna (Austria), Caracas (Venezuela) and Windhoek (Namibia), facilitated locally by communication and social designer, Laschandre Coetzee, opens at the Goethe Institute and can be viewed until 28 February.
Thursday 14 February
•16:00 COSDEF Arts and Craft Centre host a Valentine’s festival in Swakopmund, including a live performance by the Kittel Brothers from 19:15 to 20:00. The event also features a Zumba show at 18:00. To book a stall, contact 064 406 122 or [email protected]
• 18:00 Valentine’s dinner at Js Tase of India in the capital. Tickets: N$299 per couple. Bookings: 061 223 342.
• 18:30 Vintage Coffee Shop Valentine’s Day wine pairing, featuring guest artist Savannah Collins. Cost: N$375 per person (includes food and wine).
• 18:00 Valentine's Dance at the Bush Bar in Windhoek, with live entertainment by Elmero Strauss. Entrance free, with a cocktail on arrival and a free gift for the ladies. Reservations essential!
• 18:30 South African pianist Rocco de Villiers performs at The Dome in Swakopmund, with a special evening filled with love, music and laughter to raise funds for Children with Handicaps Action in Namibia. Tickets: N$250 per person (includes wine and a light meal) at the venue. Info: 064 400 301.
• 19:00 Enjoy a romantic candlelit dinner at Lake Oanob Resort, with Harald Kambrude as MC and entertainer for the night.
• 19:30 Poetry Project Session 1 hosted by Township Productions takes place at the Goethe Institute.
Friday 15 February
• 07:30 Common Vegetables training at YWAM (Brakwater) until 15:00. This training is tailor made for individuals, community representatives and farmers who want to gain advanced knowledge in growing common vegetables with high market demand in Namibia, with focus on spinach, cabbage, lettuce, sweet peppers, onion and tomatoes. Cost: N$1 000. Info: 085 694 0055 or 081 836 6748.
• 16:00 Nellys Entertainment and YK host a Valentines dinner at the Usakos Youth Centre. Tickets cost N$100 and include a performance by Bethold.• 18:30 The Namibian National Symphony Orchestra hosts a Valentine’s concert at the Dutch Reformed church in the city centre.
• 19:00 Genuine, a one-man show by presented by Jonathan from Radio Raps, takes place at the Windhoek Country Club. Tickets: N$160 via Webtickets. Cash bar available.
Saturday 16 February
• 10:30 Zirk van den Berg launches his latest book, Die Vertes in (in Afrikaans) and Parts Unknown (in English) at the Book Den in Windhoek. Space is limited, so RSVP early.
• 11:00 Yin Yoga, hosted by Liezl Hoving at The Yoga Shala until 14:00. Cost: N$450. Bookings essential! Info: [email protected]
• 18:00 For the Love of Words – where poetry, music and stories will be brought to life – at the Brewer and Butcher in Swakopmund. Tickets: N$80 (includes light meal & refreshment). Bookings essential! Info Michelle at 081 649 6483 or [email protected]
• 19:00 Elemotho performs live at Cramers in Windhoek.