Chill with Windhoek ExpressRecurring events
• 07:00 Bio-Markt / Green Market at the Stephanus Church (Dr Kenneth Kaunda Street) in Windhoek until 12:00 every Saturday.
• 16:00 Coffee and Cake at Farm Krumhuk every Sunday. Cost: N$80 for adults (2 pieces of cake and bottomless coffee & hot/cold tea) and children under 6 are half price. Info: 061 233 645. Bookings are essential for groups bigger than 7.
• Dewald Veldsman's exhibition Seeds of the future lie buried in the past at the Bellhaus Atelier & Galerie until 12 May. Info: [email protected] or 081 403 6682.
• The exhibition Everyday Life can be viewed at the National Art Gallery in Windhoek until 4 June.
Thursday 5 May
• The Skeleton Coast rally kicks off at the Swakopmund Football Club, with loads of events, including a Thunder Parade on Friday 6 May at 10:30 from Swakopmund to Walvis Bay. The event continues until Saturday at 19:00 when the prizegiving takes place. Info and registrations: https://www.skeletoncoastrally.com/
• A fundraising festival takes place at Nkurenkuru's trade fair venue until 7 May, featuring Top Cheri. Tickets cost N$50 in advance or N$70 at the gates. Festivities include live music, food, activities, soccer, volleyball and netball.
Friday 6 May
• 10:00 Open market at the Wed Shed in Tsumeb, with live entertainment by Lize Ehlers. Continues on the 7th from 10:00 to 13:00, along with a cheese and wine night starting at 17:00. Tickets for the latter cost N$180 per person or N$300 per couple. Info: 081 260 3146 or 081 275 4426.
• 10:00 The Coachella Namibia music festival with food, drinks, socialising and a colour party, takes place at the Sam Nujoma stadium in Windhoek until the 8th. Tickets: N$50 - N$500 via webtickets.com.na
• 18:00 The opening of Michael Mansfield’s new exhibition of oil and watercolours, Still Life Stories, takes place at the Project Room (32 Jenner Street). View until 21 May, Tuesday to Saturday from 10:00 to 13:00.
• 18:30 Drag Night Cabaret, directed by Odile Gertze, at Cafe Prestige in Windhoek. Tickets: N$80. A second show takes place on the 7th.
Saturday 7 May
• 14:00 MTC We Race Together - a relay race paring Namibian personalities in a team – takes place at Independence stadium. Tickets: N$30 for general admission and N$300 for VIP tickets via webtickets.com.na.
• 18:30 A movie night under the stars takes place at the WHS rugby field. Bring your camping chair or blanket. Coffee, snacks, popcorn and alcoholic beverages will be on sale. Tickets: N$40 to N$80 via webtickets.com.na
• 19:00 SA's RadioRaps performs at the Windhoek Country Club. Tickets: N$250 via webtickets.com.na
• 16:00 The Ethnix host the biggest afro-pop concert in Namibia, at The Catch. Tickets: N$100 via webtickets.com.na
• 19:00 As Night Fades and Weissdorn perform live at Desert Tavern in Swakopmund. Tickets: N$50.
Wednesday 11 May
• 18:00 Craft and wine with Edith at Fachwerk in Swakopmund. Info: 081 385 0535. A second event takes place on the 12th.
• 19:00 A public talk by Susanna Abraham on advanced GIS technology and its use in history, education, energy and natural resource management takes place at the Scientific Society.
Thursday 12 & Friday 13 May
• 19:00 South African pianist Rocco de Villiers performs at Godenfang in Walvis Bay. Tickets: N$300 per person, which includes a welcome drink and light snacks. Tickets & info: 081 719 8981.
Saturday 14 May
• 07:00 The annual Bank Windhoek relay takes place at the Action Arena in Windhoek and concludes tomorrow (15 May). Participation: N$620 per team. All proceeds go towards hunger prevention initiatives in Namibia. Info: [email protected]
• 08:00 Finkenstein Bush Market, featuring a variety of products on sale until 13:00. Info: [email protected] . The Trail Run (4 & 8km), sponsored by Clausthaler, starts at 08:30 (registration at 07:30). Info: [email protected]
• 09:00 The Shed (30km out of Windhoek towards the airport) is back in full swing, with loads of homemade goodies, food, free entrance, generous seating and secure parking. The fun continues on Sunday from 09:00 to 15:00. Info: [email protected]
• 19:00 In this month's edition of Virtually Yours, host Zukiswa Wanner chats to Angolan author Yara Nakahanda Monteiro about her book, Loose Ties. The session takes place online and participation is free.
Tuesday 17 May
• 19:00 In this month's edition of Cinemaverse at the Goethe Institute in Windhoek, Nthato Mokgata and Carla Fonseca's movie Burkinabe (with English subtitles) is screened. Entrance is free.
Friday 20 May
• 16:00 South Africa’s Adam Tas performs with Namibia’s Vaughn Ahrens at WHS Vegkop in support of the African Child Development Trust. Advance tickets cost N$200 via eticket.my.na or N$250 at the gates. Visit www.acdtrust.com for more information.
• A Glow in the Dark run or fun walk (5km or 10km) takes place in Windhoek, Walvis Bay and Oshakati. Entry: N$150 for adults and N$100 for kids (5-12 years). all proceeds go towards the Buy-A-Brick initiative. Info: www.otbsport.com to register. Registration closes on 13 May.
Saturday 21 May
• 12:00 Bond and connect with Jameson at the Windhoek show grounds. Tickets: N$300 for general admission and N$1000 for Barrel Lounge VIP tickets via webtickets.com.na
• 16:00 South Africa’s Adam Tas performs with Namibia’s Riaan Smit at WHS Vegkop in support of the African Child Development Trust. Advance tickets cost N$200 via eticket.my.na or N$250 at the gates. Visit www.acdtrust.com for more information.
26 & 27 May
• 12:00 Annual Nama Cultural Festival takes place at the Westdene Stadium in Keetmanshoop. Tickets: N$20 via webtickets.com.na
27 & 28 May
• Erongo Got Talent finals at Coastal High school hall in Swakopmund, featuring singing, dancing and drama / acting for primary and high school learners (grade 5 - 12). Audition clips are to be submitted to 081 449 7988 by 30 April. Info: [email protected]
Saturday 28 May
• 08:00 A car boot sale (no clothes!) takes place at Joe's Beerhouse in Windhoek until 11:00. Info: [email protected].com
• 10:00 An all-day market and Chili Fest takes place at Tiger Reef in Swakopmund until 20:00. Info: 081 129 0029 or [email protected]
Friday 3 June
• 19:00 Join the wine and meat festival at Wanderers in Windhoek in support of the National Drought Relief Programme. Events continue on Saturday from 09:00 t0 21:00 with live entertainment and presentations on how to prepare your favourite meat dishes, along with lots of entertainment for the kids and premier league rugby (Wanderers vs United). Info: 061 242 069 or [email protected]
Saturday 4 June
• 08:00 Standard Bank KH-Xtrail, organised by OTB, takes place at Farm Godeis until 17:00. Tickets: events.otbsports.com
• 08:00 The ever-popular Windhoek Boeremark / Farmers Market takes place at the Windhoek Showgrounds until 13:00. Entrance: N$5 for adults, and free for pensioners and children. Info: Esme at 081 277 8677 or [email protected] Other dates: 2 July, 30 July, 3 September, 8 October, 29 October, 3 December and 10 December.